GATE Exam is one of the toughest exams in our country as it is used to measure the caliber of Engineering graduates. Hence you must be wondering how to start your preparation for this prestigious exam. There are few tips mentioned below on how to do the preparation for GATE 2022 to reach your dreams.
Starting Early, Getting Ahead.
- Be aware of what you are preparing for and why you are preparing for it. As GATE requires consistent in-depth study. It’s always advised to start early for these exams so that you can prepare each topic in detail and run-through them on a regular basis.
- Always start with the fundamental topics of the respective branches. Try to study regularly and be consistent.
- The ideal time to start preparing for these exams is in the 3rd year of Engineering. You need to dedicate a minimum of 2-3 hours per day and more than this on weekends.
Be Clear With The Exam Pattern And Syllabus of GATE
- Before starting your preparation, be clear with the GATE exam pattern and GATE Syllabus.
- GATE Exam has MCQ, MSQ, and NAT type of questions.
- Check the syllabus thoroughly and prioritize subjects according to the syllabus.
- Divide all topics into your strengths and weaknesses, as it will help you to know which topics are to be focussed more. Moreover, focus on core subjects from the beginning as they hold the most of the weightage.
Framing a Proper Study Plan
- Designing a study plan for both of these exams is the most crucial step and one must build a practical, proper plan and strategy and must follow it thoroughly.
- Naturally, the study plan will vary from candidate to candidate, as the candidate of a third-year student will have to study 2-3 hours a day, whereas a fourth-year candidate must study 6 hours a day.
- An effective study plan involves a close examination of the exam pattern, syllabus, and difficulty level of the exam. And to do so one must go through the previous year’s papers and analyze the type of questions asked.
- Design a long-term plan, monthly, weekly, and daily. Set weekly targets and make sure you achieve them
- Practice a variety of problems from different sources.Give mock tests as much as possible and also focus on previous year papers and sample papers.
Choosing Standard books & Note-Making
- It is important to choose correct books for your GATE preparation. Strengthen your basics by referring to multiple books if required. But refer to one book at a time.
- The right step towards the preparation for these exams is picking up the right books. One needs to strengthen the basics first and then should focus on the advanced problem.
- To clear your basics refer to multiple books but try to stick to one standard book at a time.
- Read the concept thoroughly in-depth and mark your doubts and clear them from experts on the subject.
- Make short notes and note down formulas for quick revision, along with important concepts, diagrams etc.
- Make sure the notes are compact, concise and handy so that they can be easily referred for revision.
Previous Year Papers
- Refer to the previous year’s question papers and try to analyze them.
- Focus on the topics and chapters having higher weightage. Try to understand the difficulty level, type of questions asked, your level of preparation.
- Note the topics which are frequently asked and prioritize accordingly.
- Analyzing the previous year’s question papers will give you an idea of the topics which you need to focus more on.
Basics and Fundamentals are the keys to success
- This exam consists of questions that test your conceptual knowledge. And to have in-depth knowledge of the subject, the first step is to clear your basics.
- One day study will not strengthen your basics for that you need to be regular and consistent to get thorough with the basics.
- Once the basics are clear and you know the formulae and theory behind the concept, practicing an ample amount of numerical problems will improve your problem-solving ability.
- During practicing problems, you may get doubts, which you need to clear as soon as possible by taking the help of your friends, expert faculties, online platforms, etc.
Time Management Skills
- Along with the knowledge of technical subjects one must possess the time management skills as it is required to crack these exams.
- Anticipate the time required to complete the GATE syllabus and allocate time for everything which comes across in your preparation.
- Take mock tests and learn how to manage your time in the actual exam.
Mock Test plays an important role
- In any phase of your preparation, you need to keep track of the level of preparation and which can be only done by taking mock tests.
- After taking the mock tests analyze your performance and focus on your mistakes and try to rectify them.
- Note down the topics on which you need to work more.
- By giving mock tests and analyzing your weak and strong areas, you need to frame an attempted strategy for the exam, i.e., the way you are going to prioritize the questions from various sections and answer.